Pages

Teaser Tuesday 12-30-08 : At Swim, Two Boys


Should Be Reading - Miz B - hosts this weekly event. We throw out a couple of sentences from our current read to entice you to read the book (without spoilers, of course).


This week's book is still: At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill, page 86:


The music was remote and unresolved, wound about with slides and those yearning delays, not notes really, but the lingering between. It was like the harmony of another air whose melody he believed he could catch and maybe, had he the fingering, might one day play. He closed his eyes and it wrapped round him, the dark timbre that was breathy and warm; and he carried to black waters where a wave washed, or maybe two waves washed, under the star of an evening. The music ended, but a haunt of it hung on the air like the last heat of a grey fire.


A tad more than two sentences, but this passage was so rich, I had to include it all. This is definitely one of the most challenging books I've read in awhile, which is why it's taking me so long to read it - the dialect, idioms, allusions often go right over my head. But the writing is really lovely and the story is fascinating, so I'm hanging in there.
.

8 comments:

gwenlyn said...

A stunning passage; I'm urged to consider this read!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a lovely teaser. It's poetry.

Sarah said...

What a beautiful passage.

gautami tripathy said...

That is sheer poetry!


Here is mine

Jo-Jo said...

That is very beatiful writing! Thanks for sharing such a nice teaser...very descriptive! Mine is here.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how musical! Simply beautiful! Thanks for your teaser, I loved last week's one as well. =)

Wendi said...

Oh - I love that teaser - I've had moments when music just seemed to pour over me and I had to close my eyes - beautiful!

Here's my Teaser!

Wendi

Eidin said...

Sounds like night swimming.