Pages

The Sunday Salon - Into the New Year!

The Sunday Salon.com
The last Salon of the year. Hmmm...shall I do a 2008 wrap-up or a 2009 resolutions post? (Actually, I prefer the word 'intentions' - much less loaded!) Well, I think I'd rather look forward this morning and write a bit about my reading plans for the new year.

Overall, I've set an intention to read 125 books. I easily reached 100 this year, and that was with only two months of retirement (and reading some real chunksters!) I've signed up - or will sign up - for several challenges that will easily fit my reading style as well as introducing me to a couple of new genres and/or authors.

Right out of the chute will be Orange January! This involves reading Orange Prize winners or nominees - which means I'll be reading at least a half dozen contemporary women authors. Thanks to my friend Jill for organizing this wonderful event! We did this in July and everyone loved it so much we decided to do it twice a year. My list includes:
  • The Road Home by Rose Tremain (one of my "new author discoveries" in '08)
  • The Night Watch by Sarah Waters
  • Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout
  • Property by Valerie Martin
  • Ursula Under by Ingrid Hill by Anita Amirrezvani
  • What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt
I'll probably still be reading Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey when the ball drops in Times Square, so that will officially be my first book of 2009. It was one of the suggestions I brought to my face to face book group - I hope everyone likes it as much as I anticipate I will.

And I have officially gone on to Advanced Geekiness, thanks to my friend Laura, who helped me put together a spreadsheet to keep track of all my challenges. Oh my, what's next, a pocket pen protector??



Just a little aside to bring a bit of joy to your Sunday (at least to mine!): 22 days left of the Bush admin!

Wishing you all a joyous, peaceful, happy new year and many wonderful reading adventures.

Join the Sunday Salon!
.

10 comments:

Laura said...

Terri, you made me laugh so hard!

I'm really looking forward to Orange January, too, and will be reading two of the books you've chosen: The Road Home and Property. Looking forward to comparing notes.

Oh, and that Advanced Geekiness status with pocket protector? Not until I see formulas in that spreadsheet, missy!

Jill said...

I hope to read Amy and Isabelle too for Orange January. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

That is such a great (and handy!) spreadsheet. I might join you in your geekiness and do something like that as well. ;) Though first I have to decide which challenges to join - I'm a bit behind!

Lezlie said...

Embrace the geekiness! :-) Happy New Year, Terri!

Lezlie

Andi said...

I was just perusing my Bush countdown clock this very morning!!! lol And I'm with Lezlie...embrace geekdom!

Kerrie said...

All the best for retirement terri. You sound very organised!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I love the spreadsheet!

I would like to read the Strout book...after reading Olive Kitteridge, I'm interested in trying something else she's written. I also would like to read What Loved...which has been sitting under my bed for months.

beastmomma said...

I am impressed with your geeky acheivement and withy our impressive reading for 2008.

Gattina said...

22 days are quickly gone !
You made me laugh with your comment on my macro photo ! It's nothing to eat, you would break your teeth because they are semi precious stones, lol !!

Anonymous said...

Your excel sheet is very neat. I wish I could be so organized...