Pages

Teaser Tuesday 12-02-08 : A Lion Among Men


Should Be Reading - Miz B - hosts this weekly event. We throw out a couple of sentences from our current read to entice you to read the book.



From A Lion Among Men, Gregory Maguire's newest volume in the Wicked Years, page 3:


The time came for her to die, and she would not die; so perhaps she might waste away, they thought, and she did waste, but not away; and the time came for her to receive final absolution, so they set candles upon her clavicle, but this she would not allow. She blasphemed with gusto and she knocked the scented oils across the shroud they'd readied on a trestle nearby.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how do you like it this far?

Jo-Jo said...

Oh that sounds neat...I just read Wicked this summer and really enjoyed it. I would like to read this one at some point also.

Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight because I'm not sure:

The first book is Wicked, then Son of a Witch, then A Lion Among Men?

I got the first and second book but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Robin M said...

Wow! I've been meaning to read one of his books. Will have to put on wishlist.

Mine's up now

Robin of mytwoblessings

Anonymous said...

This sounds terribly inspiring! I haven't heard of this book before.

Terri said...

It's Maguire's third in the Wicked Years series -- though they are stand alone books, don't have to be read as a series. It just came out.

Yes, Betty, that's the correct order. I didn't care much for Son of a Witch, but I loved Wicked. I'm not far enough into it yet to have an opinion. Seems I'm always just starting books on Tuesdays!

Anonymous said...

Love the wording! I will have to check these books out.

Wendi said...

Great teaser - I've wanted to read Wicked for quite some time! I think it might be one I suggest for our book club early next year!

Here's my Teaser! It even includes a movie trailer for the book!

:) Wendi

Shana said...

Great teaser, Terri, and a huge congrats on your retirement!

Shana
Literarily

Terri said...

Wendi - Wicked would be a fun book for a book group!

Thanks, Shana, I'm enjoying retirement totally!

btw -- A Lion Among Men will be my 100th book for 2008!

Sherry said...

This teaser is terrific! I'm definitely interested in this book.