Pages

Teaser Tuesday 12-09-08 : Affinity


Should Be Reading - Miz B - hosts this weekly event. We throw out a couple of sentences from our current read to entice you to read the book.


This week I'm reading another Sarah Waters book, Affinity. From page 43:


The sun grew brighter as I stepped into the cell, and after the shadowy monotony of the passage-way its whitewashed walls were dazzling, and made me put my fingers to my brow, and blink. It took me a moment, then, to realize that Dawes had not stood and curtseyed, as all the other women had; nor had she set her work aside, nor did she smile, or speak. She only raised her eyes to gaze at me in a kind of patient curiosity--her fingers all the time plucking slowly at the ball of yarn, as if the coarse wool was a rosary and she was telling off the beads.

.

7 comments:

KyleeJ said...

Interesting tease. Are you enjoying the book?

Terri said...

I am, Kylee, thanks. I've loved all of Sarah Waters' books so far. Thanks for stopping in!

Anonymous said...

Now that is a great teaser. I want to know what happens next! OK, gotta read the book. Thanks.

Wendi said...

I love that teaser! So descriptive - I also love the book cover - seems a bit mysterious to me. How is the book so far?

Here's my Teaser!

Wendi

Wendi said...

By the way - I don't know if I posted this before, but I love Portland, and congrats on your retirement!

:) Wendi

Anonymous said...

I love the cover. Is this a new book of hers, or just one I've never noticed?

Terri said...

softdrink - I think this was her second book. She has a new one coming out in '09 - yippee!