Our weekly geek task this week: Dewey is asking us to list our favorite books that were published in 2008 (you, dear readers, will have a chance to participate in some future post). By the end of the year the results will be compiled; Dewey thinks "it’ll be interesting ... to see a list of what book bloggers choose as their favorite books rather than what a newspaper decides or what the top sellers were." Great idea!
So here's my list to date (this may change by the end of the year since I have several new books yet to read). This is pretty much in order of my preferences.
- The Story of Forgetting by Stefan Merrill Block
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
- Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
- Sorry by Gail Jones
- Mudbound by Hillary Jordan
- Gardens of Water by Alan Drew
- Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth by Xiaolu Guo
- Dear American Airlines by Jonathan Miles
- Life Class by Pat Barker
- The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich
- In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan
- The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur by Daoud Hari
- Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure