Pages

Weekly Geeks #19 AND The Sunday Salon


The Sunday Salon.comOur weekly geek task this week: Dewey is asking us to list our favorite books that were published in 2008 (you, dear readers, will have a chance to participate in some future post). By the end of the year the results will be compiled; Dewey thinks "it’ll be interesting ... to see a list of what book bloggers choose as their favorite books rather than what a newspaper decides or what the top sellers were." Great idea!

So here's my list to date (this may change by the end of the year since I have several new books yet to read). This is pretty much in order of my preferences.

Fiction:
  • The Story of Forgetting by Stefan Merrill Block
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
  • Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
  • Sorry by Gail Jones
  • Mudbound by Hillary Jordan
  • Gardens of Water by Alan Drew
  • Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth by Xiaolu Guo
  • Dear American Airlines by Jonathan Miles
  • Life Class by Pat Barker
  • The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich
Nonfiction:
  • In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan
  • The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur by Daoud Hari
  • Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure
###

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so badly want to read Mudbound. It is not available in India as of now.

Do check my short list

Jill said...

I have Mudbound and the Potato Peel books on my shelf. I know I'll love them - must read soon! A great list and I can't wait to see the final result on Dewey's site.

Icedream said...

Terri your fiction list has all the books I still have on my TBR list (except Mudbound, which I did read). And I included The Translator on my list.

Bookfool said...

I have Potato Peel on my stacks and Mudbound is on my wish list. I checked and I'm something like #420 out of 700 on Mudbound. Maybe I'll have to give in and buy it. LOL

Life Class didn't thrill me, but Pat Barker has a unique writing style that I love. I'm hoping to read her Regeneration series, some day.

Terri said...

Gautami - I hope you get a chance to read Mudbound one day soon, it is wonderful.

Jill - yes, it will be interesting to see what the "common folk" come up with rather than the NYT and all those book "experts." I think we have the real scoop!

icedream - you have a lot to look forward to!

bookfool - maybe it will be out in paper soon; the author is on Library Thing, you can send her a note, she's very friendly! Life Class was toward the bottom of my list, it was good but like you didn't thrill me. I also want to read the trilogy, have heard such good things about it.

Wendy said...

Oh, I see some that will make my list :)

Melanie said...

Loved In Defense of Food. Haven't seen too many nonfictions on these lists yet

Terri said...

Melanie - I used to read a lot of nonfiction, but this last year has been almost all fiction. I think I need to escape from the reality of the world for now!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

This is really killing my wishlist! Great list - Dear American Airlines and the Potato book are tops on my to buy mission this week.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Potato Peel and American Airlines are on my wishlist too!

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I hadn't heard about Not Quite What I Was Planning - it sounds like fun!

Mudbound is on my list, too, and I'm about to read the Potato Peel Society.