Pages

The Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com Happy Sunday everyone! I know some of you are celebrating Passover, some Easter and some just celebrating Sunday (that's me, in the latter category).

Here's an update on my go-rounds with Barnes and Noble dot com and Penguin Books:

After a few more email exchanges with B&N (and by "exchanges" I mean I ranted and they sent back another form email), I called the nearest brick and mortar store and talked with a manager. He was happy to take the book and give me a credit as long as I could show him the receipt. I'm notorious at not keeping track of things like that, but, miracle of miracles, I found the receipt and took it and the defective book to The Mall where the Big Box Bookstore is located.

I find malls to be soul-dead places. It's been many years since I've been in a Big Box Bookstore, and I also found B&N to be soul-dead. It had such an artificial, Stepford Wife feel to it, complete with Muzak. Too tidy and shiny for my tastes. But, the manager was very friendly and the staff was accommodating and I did my business with them and left, satisfied.

And then, a couple days later I got an email from Penguin Books telling me they'd be happy to replace the book, I just needed to provide them with the ISBN. I thanked them for their service and told them the matter had been resolved.

So, a happy ending after all. Lesson learned. Thanks for all your advice and commisery!

What I have been, am and will be reading:

This last week I read Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Wow, what an intriguing book! Someone commenting to me about their experience reading it said she felt like she'd dreamed it. That comes close to my experience too. The writing is beautiful (see teaser here), the story compelling, and a United Nations of characters are well drawn. I haven't read Patchett before, but I look forward to reading more of her work.

This weekend I'm finishing up The Master by Colm Tóibín.. This was a well loved book by several of my book buddies and short-listed for the Booker prize in 2005. When I started it, I had no idea what it was about - turns out it's historical fiction about Henry James, an author I've had a smattering of experience with. I'm not sure why I'm finding this book so compelling - it's very slow moving, quiet and written in Jamesian style - but it is definitely holding my interest. I'm regretting that I haven't read more of James; I know I'm missing a lot of allusions and references to his works. Perhaps now I'll go on a Henry James binge.

Up next is East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.

Until next time ---- happy reading!
.

6 comments:

claire said...

So glad to hear you can now finish reading People of the Book! I've seen Bel Canto in the used bookshop and was eyeing it, but needed a push. What you said is all I need.. I hope it's still there the next time I visit.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Glad the book problem was resolved....Yes, I feel the same about malls. Why do they feel so lifeless?

Wendy said...

Both of those books are sitting on my TBR pile, Terri - so it is good to know you liked and are liking them! I love all things Steinbeck and East of Eden is a treasure...hope you'll love it! Happy Sunday to you, my friend :)

Tinkerteam said...

Mmmmm...that means you have "Magician's Assistant" to look forward to, one of my favorite novels. I never read Bel Canto because I was influenced by C hating it, but I really should give it a whirl.

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I hope you're enjoying East of Eden, it's one of my all-time favourites!

Serena said...

I'm happy to hear the book issue has been resolved.

I have Bel Canto in my TBR pile, and still have not gotten around to it. I think reading Run, which was a more recent book from Patchett, soured me on her for a bit.