Pages

Teaser Tuesday: 11-04-08 : Behind the Scenes....


Should Be Reading - Miz B - hosts this weekly event. We throw out a couple of sentences from our current read to entice you to read the book!

It seems I'm always just at the beginning of a book for this post. And, as I really dislike spoilers, I tend to not open the book at random for a teaser. So, from the first page of Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson (and more than two sentences; I'm such a rebel):

I exist! I am conceived to the chimes of midnight on the clock on the mantelpiece in the room across the hall. The clock once belonged to my great-grandmother (a woman called Alice) and its tired chime counts me into the world. I'm begun on the first stroke and finished on the last when my father rolls off my mother and is plunged into a dreamless sleep, thanks to the five pints of John Smith's Best Bitter he has drunk in the Punch Bowl with his friends, Walter and Bernard Belling. At the moment at which I moved from nothingness into being my mother was pretending to be asleep - as she often does at such moments. My father, however, is made of stern stuff and he didn't let that put him off.

###

7 comments:

Wendi said...

Very interesting teaser - I love the cover of the book!

Here's my teaser!

:) Wendi

Anna van Gelderen said...

I loved Behind the Scenes at the Museum. Maybe it is not quite as accomplished as her recent novels, but nevertheless this has always been my favourite Kate Atkinson novel. It's so quirky and original. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

KyleeJ said...

Wow! That's an attention grabber.

KyleeJ said...

arg. My library has only 1 copy and it's already out. =(

Wanda said...

That is just enough to have me curious about the book...

Unknown said...

This is an interesting idea, I hadn't heard if Tuesday Teasers before.

Now I wanna know more! :)

Terri said...

Lisa - check here:

http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/2008/07/29/new-teaser-tuesdays/