Pages

Teaser Tuesday and Where In the World Are You? Cranford

Should Be Reading - Miz B - hosts this weekly event. We throw out a couple of sentences from our current read (without spoilers, of course) to entice you to read the book.



From Cranford by Elizabeth Glaskell (originally published in 1853), page 3:

The Cranfordians had that kindly esprit de corps which made them overlook all deficiencies in success when some among them tried to conceal their poverty. When Mrs. Forrester, for instance, gave a party in her baby-house of a dwelling, and the little maiden disturbed the ladies on the sofa by a request that she might get the tea-tray out from underneath, every one took this novel proceeding as the most natural thing in the world, and talked on about household forms and ceremonies as if we all believed that our hostess had a regular servants' hall, second table, with housekeeper and steward, instead of the one little charityschool maiden, whose short ruddy arms could never have been strong enough to carry the tray upstairs, if she had not been assisted in private by her mistress, who now sat in state, pretending not to know what cakes were sent up, though she knew, and we knew, and she knew that we knew, and we knew that she knew that we knew, she had been busy all the morning making tea-bread and sponge-cakes.


It's Tuesday, Where Are You? is hosted by an adventure in reading.

I'm in Cranford, a village near London. It's the mid-1800s, and the village is dominated by women who, though quite independent, have a strict but unusual set of etiquette rules one must adhere to.

.

4 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

That is a long teaser!

Here is my tuesday post

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I am glad I found your blog. I've been looking for other Portland book bloggers. I am going to bookmark your site.

Caspette said...

Nice long quote.

Sometimes I think society has swung to far in the other direction where there is virtually no etiquette anymore.I hope it eventually finds a balance.

I cant believe I managed to get pole position on the Tuesday Teaser. Everyone must have been asleep at the keyboard because I thought I was late! I was actually just hanging on till I could post as I was soooo tired last night was in bed asleep by 9.30.

When do you get your new puppy? and will there be pics on this blog or your "How I see the world" blog?

Terri said...

Caspette: puppy in 30 days! yikes. I'm busy reading up on the care and feeding of puppies. It's been a long time since I did this. Photos will most likely be on the other blog. I will really try not to make it all about the puppy though! LOL!