Well, we're back at last, and Dewey's spirit lives on in every Weekly Geek post. I had the honor and pleasure of posting the first assignment for the return of WG. And I've been so busy visiting everyone's posts this morning, I haven't even finished mine!
Our assignment this week:
In the spirit of the amazing community building that Dewey was so good at, tell us about your favorite blogs, the ones you have bookmarked or subscribe to in your Google Reader, that you visit on a regular basis. Tell us what it is about these blogs that you love, that inspire or educate you or make you laugh. Be sure to link to them so we can find them too.Some days I make myself crazy trying to keep up with all the blogs I want to visit. Thank goodness for retirement! and for Google Reader which manages all my favorite blogs and lets me know when new goodies are posted
I have several categories of blogs I follow; for this post, I'm limiting myself to three in each category, which is really hard to do.
- books i done read - Raych writes the funniest reviews on the planet. I hope she wills me her sense of humor. She is so irreverent - a quality I admire in a person!
- Tripping Toward Lucidity - Andi was one of the first book bloggers I connected with. She's also very funny and thoughtful, writes great reviews and shares her daily life with us, the good, the bad and the ugly! She's also busy with a few other blogs and an online 'zine. Not to mention teaching and going to school. Sheesh.
- Cornflower lives in Edinburgh and has quite a following. She recently separated her book blog from her "other" which has fantastic photos, textiles, recipes and food photos that will make you drool puddles. This link is to her book blog where she runs a monthly book group and writes fantastic reviews. Also hosts a lot of giveaways.
I've recently become addicted to photography and there are some wonderful blogs and memes out there (my photo blog is now separate from this one). Here are some of my favs:
- Lisa's Chaos - Lisa and her husband are professional photographers and their work is stunning. Very creative and fun stories, too. Lisa hosts one of my favorite photo memes, Macro Monday. I love macro photography!
- Spatter - what can I say. Awesome photos. Interesting stories. June travels a lot, so there's a great diversity to her photography.
- Heaven in Belgium - Jientje has a lot of fun with her camera and shares tips with us. She's very creative in her photo setups and is, well, just a nice person.
I think what has astounded me most about the blog world is how people are writing their everyday stories in such creative ways. Whether it's about raising children, moving to a new town, the '08 election or just pondering, this is definitely a new way of finding community and sharing our stories, which is a good start down a road to peace. It's such a wonderful way of connecting and finding similarities and learning about differences. Some of my favorites in this category are:
- Diane's Addled Ramblings - this woman is funny!!! She writes about being a single mom, about writing, politics, dating - all with a style that keeps me wanting MORE.
- i am saved by the buoyancy of citrus - this is Raych again, her non-book blog. Again, funny! Everyday. Someday I will ask her where she got such a quirky blog name.
- So Not Zen - I recently discovered this blog; another very funny writer about the everyday, the joys and woes of parenting. She's doing a daily gratitude post. She also lives just across the Columbia River from me. And I love the name of her blog. And this bit in her "about me" cracks me up: I want to think like Buddha, not look like him.
Well that ought to keep you all busy for awhile! Now I'm off to see who else has posted to Weekly Geeks. I will have to pry the laptop off my hot thighs by the end of this day. No, not HOT as in buff - HOT as in this laptop is now the temperature of a waffle iron.
Visit the new home of Weekly Geeks and see what others are geeking about.