Pages

The Sunday Salon: Short Stories Redux

The Sunday Salon.com When I started participating in the Sunday Salon, I had the brilliant idea to rotate weeks, doing short stories one week, essays the next, then poetry, etc. My master plan has fallen by the wayside (I'm easily distracted); but I had a hankering for a short story day, so decided to revive it for this Sunday. I've been barreling through so many books lately, it's nice to pause and read a variety of story-ettes from here and there.

I've read or am reading:

  • From Moral Disorder by Margaret Atwood: "The Art of Cooking and Serving."
  • From Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship by Alice Munro: "What is Remembered."
  • From Heart Songs by Annie Proulx: "Heart Songs."

In the connected short story genre, this week I read Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. All 13 stories in the book have Olive in common, sometimes as the central character, sometimes just making a cameo appearance. The stories take place in a small town in Maine and involve relationships, human foibles, growth and change. It reads like a novel; the ending is wonderful. Highly recommend. Also read: Paddy Clarke, Ha Ha Ha and Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return, both excellent.



================================================
There are so many opportunities around for getting free books, it's quite astonishing! There's always a giveaway going on in the book blog world (e.g. check out Jen's giveaway of Matrimony or this one by Irish, giving away Last Night I Dreamed of Peace). And thanks to Wendy and Paola, I've discovered Shelf Awareness, where you can often request books right from the publisher. I received one yesterday I don't even remember requesting! I've received a number of books via LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. And, of course, booky friends are always willing to pass along something they know you'll love. In fact, looking at the first couple of pages of my catalog on LibraryThing, about half of the most recently acquired books came from one of these sources. Not bad!

I hope you have a joyful Labor Day holiday; and thoughts are with all those in Gustav's path. Be safe.

###

1 comments:

Irish said...

Another cool way to get books is to email the author directly. I did this with Living Dead Girl. I wrote to the author asked for an ARC and she sent the request to her publicist who then sent me the book. Who knew it could be so easy to get free books?!