Pages

The Retirement Thang

It really is happening! Monday I got all the paperwork filled out for my retirement system application, made some decisions about rolling over accounts, buying back time... so much to think about, but it's well on the way to a done deal! And I've been working on writing up my job description and job posting. All these concrete tasks take the surrealism out of the thoughts of retiring and make it a reality.

Everyone asks, "What are you going to do?" Good question! I have no grand plans other than devoting time to getting healthy, reading, writing and catching up on sleep. At least for the first six months. Maybe take a class or two and explore volunteering for Write Around Portland and/or Growing Gardens.

I feel so fortunate to be able to do this at age 58; I've been in the state retirement system for 28 years, quite by accident! Certainly not by design, as I'm not much for long term planning.

On with the countdown!!!








4 comments:

Jill said...

Counting down with you!

Irish said...

Care to switch places? I retire in 72 days...and you work the next 70 odd years for me. ;-)

Terri said...

Thanks, Jill! Nice to have company for the countdown.

Irish -- thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass. If I hadn't already sent in the paperwork.... ;o)

LisaMM said...

Congrats to you!! My mom retired 4 years ago without any big plans and she is loving it!! Lots of reading and bowling and seeing friends.