Pages

Booking Through Thursday - Sports Watching or Reading?

This week's questions:

Do you or have you ever read books about the Olympics? About sports in general? Fictional ones? Or non-fiction? Or both? Do you consider yourself a sports fan?


I've been staying up waaayyyy too late this week watching gymnastics and swimming. I don't consider myself a sports fan, but I do have several events through the year that I always watch: tennis (the US Open and Wimbledon -- did you SEE the men's finals this year???), baseball (the World Series, especially if the Yankees are playing) and parts of the Olympics, summer and winter (not much interested in track and field).

I don't read books about sports per se unless it's an incidental part of the story -- like The Brothers K by David James Duncan, which is about baseball, but so much more. One of my all-time favorites.

###

12 comments:

Lynda said...

I like the winter olympics the best and I'm a huge Rugby fan, but I do like watching the swimming, rowing and diving ;0)

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I am enjoying particular Olympic events - the diving this summer has grabbed my attention. Being a non-swimmer I'm amazed :)

SmilingSally said...

Hey Terri,
I was up late watching with you.

PS How do you get text inside/on top of the graphic?

Anonymous said...

I've also been up late this week watching gymnastics and swimming...who wouldn't stay up for Michael Phelps?

I'll have to check out The Brothers K ...I've been hearing about it for a while now.

Anonymous said...

Yankees! hiss, boo! :-D

I like the gymnastics events and the figure skating in the winter, as far as the Olympics go, but I've not watched any of it this year. Between all my reading and the resentment of the games being forced down my throat by NBC, I've just not manage to muster the interest.

Stephanie said...

This is the first year in a long time that I've watched the Olympics. But it is just so much fun this year!!

Happy Thursday!

kristen said...

I just requested Brothers K! Glad to hear a positive review... enjoy the Olympics! I am, too!

Julia said...

I like the Winter Olympics the best - because Ice Skating is my favorite sport. And like you I'm not a fan of sports either but I like to watch it.

I've been up late watching the Olympics too. Amazing to watch Michael Phelps to see if he can reach the gold goal. Am happy with what he done so far -- YAY!

Irish said...

I read the Brothers K eons ago as part of an AP English assignment in HS...such a wonderful story.


I also didn't know you were a Yankees fan. I'm a proud card carrying member of Red Sox Nation myself.

Terri said...

Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Sally - I put the words in using a graphics program.

Yes, Phelps has been amazing! And he's such a nice humble guy.

Hm, no other Yankees fans here I guess. Irish, of course you're a Red Sox fan! I wouldn't expect anything else. I've been a Yankee fan since I was a little kid.

Terri said...

Glad to see so many Bros K readers here. I think Duncan is amazing - his nonfiction is fabulous. My only gripe is he doesn't write enough fiction!

Anonymous said...

Have you read Michael Lewis' "The Blindside: Evolution of a Game?" It's got everything--football, adoption, race, college sports, etc. Not to mention, fine, fine writing.