Pages

Teaser Tuesday and Where In the World Are You? The Glass Castle

Should Be Reading - Miz B - hosts this weekly event. We throw out a couple of sentences from our current read (without spoilers, of course) to entice you to read the book.


This week my teaser is from The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls page 56:

After dinner, the whole family stretched out on the benches and the floor of the depot and read, with the dictionary in the middle of the room so we kids could look up words we didn't know. Sometimes I discussed the definitions with Dad, and if we didn't agree with what the dictionary writers said, we sat down and wrote a letter to the publishers. they'd write back defending their position, which would prompt an even longer letter from Dad, and if they replied again, so would he, until we stopped hearing from the dictionary people.


It's Tuesday, Where Are You? is hosted by an adventure in reading.

Hmm, where am I? Bouncing around between small mining towns, big cities (Phoenix, Las Vegas), West Virginia, the desert; living in trailers, an abandoned train depot, available shacks, with family - never very long in one place, with parents like mine.

10 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I gotta read it!

Teaser Tuesdays: The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Sounds very interesting. Here is mine

TheAtticGirl said...

I've never played the dictionary game, but it sounds like an interesting read!

Here's mine:

http://atticgirl.blogspot.com/2009/11/teaser-tuesday-love-finds-you-in.html

Alayne said...

This is adorable. Good pick. Here is mine:
http://thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com

Marce said...

What a beautiful teaser you chose. Great memoir this is.

Here is mine http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2009/11/teaser-tuesday-gods-behaving-badly.html

Marce said...

Terri, I would like to add you to my friends on Library Thing.

Here is mine.
http://www.librarything.com/home/marcejewels

The Bumbles said...

Interesting that you chose a happy Teaser when the book is constantly teetering between terrible situations and moments of levity and tenderness. I gobbled it up reading it straight through in one day. I hope you enjoy it too.

Calico Crazy said...

I was intrigued by your teaser and then I read The Brumbles comment and I'm sure I have to read this one.

My teaser is up at Calico Contemplations.

christine said...

I love this. Arguing with the dictionary writers - classic!

Andi said...

I ran across The Glass Castle at the library book sale recently and snatched a copy right up. Love the passage you shared!