Pages

Teaser Tuesday and Where Are You? 07-24-09: When I Lived in Modern Times

Should Be Reading - Miz B - hosts this weekly event. We throw out a couple of sentences from our current read (without spoilers, of course) to entice you to read the book.


This week my teaser is from When I Lived in Modern Times by Linda Grant, page 18 :

From a young age I had stood at my mother's side at the salon, handing her pins and clips, listening ungratefully while she taught me everything she knew. I was sent on humble errands to Steckyn's on Wardour Street to pick up shampoo capes and sleeping nets and snoods. As others hoarded string, we were sharp-eyed for hairpins that had strayed on buses or in the street, collecting them up in our handbags, knowing that the metal they were made of was diverted into the production of aeroplanes and helmets and ships and bombs and that these few slivers of steel had to be gathered and kept in a safe place, sometimes when there were shortages, under lock and key.



It's Tuesday, Where Are You? is hosted by an adventure in reading.

I'm back and forth in time and place between London and Palestine, hoping to be part of creating the new Zionist state.

2 comments:

Beth F said...

Sounds very interesting.

kayerj said...

we have so much we don't appreciate it

I am here