Pages

The Sunday Salon: 11-15-09

The Sunday Salon.com


I was going to wish you a happy Ides of November, but apparently, according to Answers.com, in November, ides are on the 13th:
Ides: pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)The 15th day of March, May, July, or October or the 13th day of the other months in the ancient Roman calendar.

Who figures these things out anyway? OK, I'm just stalling here, because I've hardly read ten pages this week. I'm in what is known as a reading slump. It's not that I haven't anything interesting to read - my shelves are full of luscious books waiting to be devoured. I'm actually stuck in the middle of two excellent books: Life and Fate by Vasilly Grossman - a Russian tome about WWII and the Holocaust; and The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls - a memoir about Walls' exceedingly dysfunctional family. So what's not to love?

I'm afraid if I set them aside and move on to other reads, I won't ever pick them up again, and I really do want to read them. And I have some very compelling books waiting in the wings: Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, the newest recipient of the Man Booker prize and The Lacuna, Barbara Kingsolver's first novel in nine years. Oh, so hard to resist. But resist I will. I feel compelled to finish the other two books, I just need to plunge back in.

What about you? What do you do when you're in a reading slump? Do you power through a book or two or just take a break?

I hope you're enjoying your Sunday, wherever you are. It looks like it will be a rainy one here in Portland.
.

0 comments: